Susans Consulting Company (SCC) – Problem Overview
Susans Consulting Company (SCC) has been in business for ten years and has experienced a significant turnover in the project management group, prompting senior leadership to investigate.
A preliminary review by senior leadership has determined that Project Managers are frustrated with the amount of required project management documentation, which has impacted their ability to manage projects successfully.
A recent review of the project management process has determined that SCC has spent between 30-40% of its total project budget on projects’ overhead costs including project management costs. A review of industry standards is between 5-15% higher than most companies. In addition, senior leaders found that projects are being delivered between 25% and 50% over budget and late 95% of the time.
Note: Project Management overhead includes the PM’s time managing the project, attending meetings, and developing the required documentation.
Request: SCC has contacted your team because you are experts in defining project management processes and delivering projects on time. The SCC request includes the following:
- The development of a new project management process which at a minimum should include the following:
- The ability to track issues, risks, and changes
- The ability to view project activities includes the ability to view what has been completed and what activities the team is currently working on and what will be done over the next reporting period.
- The ability to view the project costs to include what has been spent to date, baseline budget, any changes to the budget, remaining budget, and cost of the project at completion
- In addition, to building a new project management process, SCC would like you and your team to manage a project using the new process.
Before bringing your team on board, company management determined estimates for initial development costs, benefits, and the projected time to complete each application.
Step 1: Identify a project manager – this individual is responsible for the team assignment ensuring that team members are completing their assigned work and will be responsible for turning in the assignment.
General Note: Your instructor will act as the sponsor for the project and the methodology build-out. Any questions should be directed to me.
Step 2: Build a Methodology
- Identify and describe the methodology to be used by the company. This should include both a narrative and a pictorial representation of the methodology.
- Identify and describe at least 5 deliverables for your process.
- Identify and describe the proposed review and update process for your methodology.
- Identify one or more prioritization techniques that will be used to prioritize work – examples can be PV, IRR, NPV, Pay Back Period, and/or dot voting
- Identify at least 3-5 risks a company should think about when identifying a new methodology.
- Description of the risk
- Mitigation Strategy
- Identify the Organization Structure for the organization that will support the project: create a pictorial and narrative description of the organizational structure for the project.
Step 3: Develop your paper using the following requirements:
- The paper should be between 12-15 pages and should include:
- Title Page
- Reference Page
- Table of Content
- Your paper should include APA format (Times New Roman, font size 12, double-spaced, proper grammar, and reference list)
- Your paper should utilize at least one outside scholarly or professional source related to project management
- Your paper should include an Abstract, Introduction, and Conclusion