How do you feel about the use of gender-neutral pronouns in nurseries, preschools, and kindergartens?
1) How do you feel about the use of gender-neutral pronouns in nurseries, preschools, and kindergartens? Would you want your child’s school to use gender-neutral pronouns? Why or why not?
2) The article notes that using gender-neutral pronouns in other countries may not be sufficient to fight sexism and gender biases. Why do you think that gender-neutral pronouns seem to be working in some but not in other places?
1) Valeriya wants to teach her son her native language of Russian, in addition to English. Her husband, Rob, thinks this is a bad idea. He is worried that learning two languages at the same time might confuse their son. After reading this article, would you side with Valeriya or Rob? Why?
2) Explain how words in your memory lexicon are accessed.
3) If bilingualism has such long-ranging benefits for children, why do you think that more Americans aren’t bilingual? Instead of teaching “foreign languages” to students later in their education, what do you think of having a bilingual classroom starting in kindergarten? Do you think that bilingual classrooms could offer the same quality of education that a monolingual classroom could?
1) Why was the situation of in-flight purchases the ideal way to measure the influence of peers on consumption?
2) If you wanted to motivate students in an honors classroom to sign up for a volunteer project, how could you use peer effects to do that?