This is a paper that is requiring the student to Compare and contrast the health status of your selected minority group. The paper also provides additional information to use in the writing of the assignment paper. Below is the assessment description to follow:
Compare and contrast the health status of your selected minority group
Select an ethnic minority group that is represented in the United States (American Indian/Alaskan Native, Asian American, Black/African American, Hispanic/Latino, Native Hawaiian, or Pacific Islander). Using health information available from Healthy People, the CDC, and other relevant government websites, analyze the health status for this group.
In a paper of 1,000-1,250 words, compare and contrast the health status of your selected minority group to the national average. Include the following:
1. Firstly, describe the ethnic minority group selected. Describe the current health status of this group. How do race and ethnicity influence health for this group?
2. Secondly, what are the health disparities that exist for this group? What are the nutritional challenges for this group?
3. Thirdly, discuss the barriers to health for this group resulting from culture, socioeconomics, education, and sociopolitical factors.
4. Fourthly, what health promotion activities are often practiced by this group?
5. Also, describe at least one approach using the three levels of health promotion prevention (primary, secondary, and tertiary). It should be most effective in a care plan given the unique needs of the minority group. Provide an explanation of why it might be the most effective choice.
6. Lastly, what cultural beliefs or practices must be in consideration when creating a care plan? What cultural theory or model would be best to support culturally competent health promotion for this population? Why?
Cite at least three peer-reviewed or scholarly sources to complete this assignment. Sources should be within the last 5 years and appropriate for the assignment criteria and public health content.
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.