The case of Action for Children’s Television v. FCC.
The Cardigans are a very progressive with the way they do business, especially with keeping up with the latest laws and cases that pertain to individual rights and the impact that the laws have on business. They are planning to introduce a new line of clothing called “Scantily Clad” with the slogan, “So light You Won’t Know You are Wearing a Thing!” The local television station WBLAH told Candie Cardigan that it would not air such a commercial due to content. Furthermore, that it was not appropriate for children to view it. The Cardigans believe that this is old law and believe that they are protected under the First Amendment’s Freedom of Speech.Your supervising attorney, and one of CARDWARE’s Corporate Counsel, Rice E. Roni would like for you to analyze case law in your state as well as the First Amendment Freedom of Speech and determine if the Cardigans have a right to have their commercial aired or not. Be sure to discuss whether or not WBLAH is unreasonably abridging the Cardigans’ rights guaranteed to the individuals under the First Amendment. Your response is to be in the form of a memorandum instructions which are provided below.Rice E. Roni scribbled a few notes on a sheet of paper to help you with your research.
- Look at the case of Action for Children’s Television v. FCC.
- Please review the 1978 decision of the Supreme Court in Federal Communications Commission v. Pacifica Foundation – See more at:
First Amendment and Censorship. (n.d.). Retrieved June 10, 2016, from http://entertainmentlaw.uslegal.com/censorship/first-amendment-and-censorship/#sthash.AnrMIuEN.dpufPlease determine if this is good law, or not and whether or not it applies to our situation.
- Be sure to analyze our situation from both a positive and a negative viewpoint so we will know what our strengths and weaknesses are when we insist that our commercial be given air time.
Assignment InstructionsYou are the paralegal working for CARDWARE’s corporate counsel and have been asked to draft a 2–3-page double-spaced memorandum to Rice E. Roni, Corporate Counsel of CARDWARE Inc.and discuss the following:
- Your state law and the First Amendment and whether or not the Cardigans have a right to have their commercial aired or not.
- Be sure to discuss whether or not WBLAH is unreasonably abridging the Cardigans’ rights guaranteed to the individuals under the First Amendment.
- Be sure to indicate which case gives us the most support of having the commercial aired.
Checklist Before Submitting Your Assignment
- Read the question and what is being asked of you twice.
- Structure your Assignment in memorandum form.
Example:Date:To: Rice E. Roni, Supervising Attorney, CARDWARE Inc.From: [Your Name]Re:
- Organize your memorandum with an introduction, body, and conclusion.
Note: Your memorandum length of 2–3 pages is separate from the cover sheet and reference page.
- Keep all font color consistent throughout. If a blue hyperlink appears, remove it by hovering over it and right click. A vertical dropdown menu will appear. Click on Remove Hyperlink.
- Avoid the use of first person.
In addition to fulfilling the specifics of the assignment, a successful paper must also meet the following criteria:
- Include a cover page and references page in 10 – 12 point font (Arial, Courier, and Times New Roman are acceptable)
- Viewpoint and purpose should be clearly established and sustained
- Assignment should follow the conventions of Standard English (correct grammar, punctuation, etc.)
- Writing should be well ordered, logical and unified, as well as original and insightful
- Your work should display superior content, organization, style, and mechanics
- Appropriate citation style should be followed
You should also make sure to:
- Include a title page with full name, class name, section number, and date
- Include an introductory and concluding paragraph and demonstrate college-level communication through the composition of original materials in Standard English
- Use examples to support your discussion
- Cite all sources on a separate reference page at the end of your paper and cite within the body of your paper using APA format and citation style. For more information on APA guidelines, visit Academic Tools.