Social Injustice vs. Social Problem
The distribution of justice in our society is not always fair and inequalities exist in relation to race, ethnicity, class, gender, sexual orientation and age. Discriminatory practices and social injustices are inherent in the major institutionsof our society: the workforce, educational system, criminal justice system, the legal system, religious institutions and the media. Social injustices have serious consequences on the life experiences of individuals.
Social Injustice vs. Social Problem
- A social injustice occurs when certain members of a society do not have access to an equal distribution of wealth and resources and are denied opportunities by an institution. Unfair treatment and denial of one’s civil rights may be based on one’s age, gender, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity or religion.
- A social problem is behavior that has negative effects on an individual. Addiction, partner violence and child maltreatment negatively impact an individual and may have consequences for their family and friends.
Please use my outline below along with the articles included in the outline to write the essay on Environmental Injustice/Racism. The outline is to guide you on what the essay should focus on. You can also include additional scholarly articles.
The topic for the paper is Environmental Injustice/Racism. But I want you to focus on these subtopics:
● Education: Less developed schools with fewer privileges and quality of education in disadvantaged communities.
● Environmental crises throughout the U.S: Love canal, Flint Michigan, Newark’s drinking water crisis
● Air pollution burden in poor neighborhoods
● Solutions and programs
PLEASE MAKE SURE TO ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS IN THE CAPSTONE ESSAY:
- The Institution that perpetuates the injustice
- The minority group most affected by the injustice
- The negative outcomes or personal consequences suffered by those who are targeted
- The cost/s of this injustice to society (financial, loss of human capital/resources)
- Solutions or alternatives to the problem/s that you have identified: new policies, legislation, social movements, public opinion
Students will be required to submit a 5-6-page essay on their selected topic. They must use at least 3 recent scholarly sources as explained on the Hacker and Sommers Manual. You may use government websites in addition to their scholarly sources to quote statistics. All sources must be cited in-text and students must submit a separate reference list.
- The APA Manual of Style required for this course will be the only APA source used to grade this assignment.
- All written work is to be typed using 12 font, one inch margins and double spacing.
- Please utilize grammar and spell check before submitting your paper.
- You must submit an electronic copy to Turnitin on or before the due date.
- Please note that an essay is a continuous flowing paper.
- Your writing should reflect a sequential thought process.
- There are no section headers or sub-section headers in an essay.
After you are completely done with the essay, you will then create a powerpoint presentation that should be about 5 minutes and should not exceed 8 minutes highlighting the essay topic and the things you talked about in the essay. The powerpoint presentation is supposed to summarize the essay and each section you talked about. You can also include images or videos.
- Include a minimum of 3 scholarly sources.
- Scholarly sources are peer reviewed articles and are found in such sources as the Journal of Criminology, Sociology and Social Research, American Journal of Psychology, American Journal of Criminal Law.
- Consult the required manual of style for determining scholarly sources. Google scholar does not guarantee peer reviewed research.
- You may use government websites for statistics in addition to your 3 scholarly sources, such as the Bureau of Justice or the US Census Bureau.
- Do not use sources more than 5 years old unless you are using information for historical value.
- Please use 12 font, double spacing and 1” margins.