The Summer My Grandmother Was Supposed to Die
- Short story: The Summer My Grandmother was supposed to die.
- Write a character analysis of the main character/s (1 to 2 characters).
- Review the setting and turn of events in the short story.
- Your Theme : Motherly Love
- What is the author’s message (the main idea).
- Revise all sentences above, then write a draft of your thesis.
- NOTES: The following three statements are not thesis statements:
- Mothers love their daughters unconditionally. Society does not support single mothers. Success motivates individuals to ask for more.
- Reread your thesis and write your second draft of the thesis: Do you have an argument? Is it debatable? Can you support it with three key idea?
- Finally, write 3 key ideas to support the thesis.
- NOTES: To revise sentence structure (review the structure of sentences verb tense (use the present tense), word choice, and word form (no contractions: they don’t/can’t/isn’t is not permitted)
The task is to submit: the theme, the main idea, your revised thesis (the thesis is your argument/one sentence) and the organizing statement (One sentence for all 3 key ideas)
This homework is worth 5 points. NOTES:
Theme: 0.5 points
Main idea (a full sentence): 1 point (grammar 0.40 and content 0.60)
Thesis: 2 points (grammar 0.75 and content 1.25)
Organizing Statement: 1.5 points (grammar 0.5 and content 1)