Apply a sociological perspective to the social world
Choose one of the following questions:
1. Describe the functionalist view of social stratification, and the conflict theory’s view of social stratification. Then take a pro or con position on each of the following three points: first, social stratification is necessary for societies to exist and prosper; second, the United States functions, overall, as a meritocracy; and third, human beings-driven as they are by human nature-are incapable of ever creating and/or living in a classless society. Provide detail about ‘why’ you are taking the pro or con position for each point.
2. Describe the three theories of global inequality addressed in the reading this week, examining the existence and persistence of inequality between countries and regions. Also address the strengths and weaknesses of these perspectives as analytical tools. What is the most accurate theory to address global inequality? Explain why you selected this perspective using specific examples.
The Week 4 Forum meets the following course objectives:
- Apply a sociological perspective to the social world
- Analyze contemporary social issues using the sociological imagination and use sociological theories and concepts to analyze everyday life.
- Discuss global stratification and explain social class and the impact of stratification in the United States.
Instructions for all Forums:
Each week, learners will post one initial post per week. This post must demonstrate comprehension of the course materials, the ability to apply that knowledge in the real world. Learners will engage with the instructor and peers throughout the learning week. To motivate engaged discussion, posts are expected to be on time with regular interaction throughout the week. All posts should demonstrate college level writing skills. To promote vibrant discussion as we would in a face to face classroom, formatted citations and references are not required. Quotes should not be used at all, or used sparingly. If you quote a source quotation marks should be used and an APA formatted citation and reference provided.