Supply Chain in the Real World
SCMN 4390 Winter 2021
If you choose not to participate in the simulation you will have to submit the following two reports either on your own or in a team of maximum three students:
Report 1: Supply Chain in the Real World
Choose at least five articles from reputable news agencies related to topics of Supply Chain Management. These should be about at least five different events, issues, challenges, opportunities, etc. Do further research into the topics of the articles and relate them to your studies in the Supply Chain program at TRU. As part of the report (in addition to relating them to your studies) you will want to include:
1. your reasons for choosing the topics you did
2. why you believe they were reported in the news
3. how they relate to your studies and specifically to which courses they relate
4. how the businesses/countries/people in the article will be impacted by what has been written/happened
5. what you believe are the next things that should happen as a result of the event to either fix the issue or help take advantage of the opportunity. (Justify your positions.)
Deliverable: Written Report, 5 to 10 pages in length
Due Date: The same date as the first simulation report is due.
Assessment: Your paper will be assessed on your ability to clearly communicate your ideas, your ability to make connections between the topics and the supply chain courses you have taken, your understanding of the topics, how realistic your suggestions for the future are, and the professional presentation of your report.
Term Value: 12.5%
Report 2: Relate Class to the Real World
The Selected Topics reports created by the class are the result of hours and hour of work spent researching and synthesizing. In this report you must relate the content of at least eight of the selected topics presentations to the real world. To do this you will need to answer the following questions:
1. Why are the topics you’ve chosen to include in your report important to the field of supply chain management now and in the future. You must discuss each of the topics, not only provide an overview discussion. Justify your position based on research (which may relate to what you did in the first report.). You may not believe that they are and that is okay however you must justify your position with evidence that they are not, nor will they be. You may also say they’re important now but may not be in the future and vice versa, you just need to be able to support your perspective with evidence – it’s not just an opinion.
2. How will these selected topics impact business overall both now and in the future? Again, justify your position.
3. What did you learn from the selected project projects?
4. Now that the course is over, what topics do you wish were selected and why? You need to provide two possible selected topics; describe them and discuss their importance.
Deliverable: Written report 10 – 15 pages in length.
Due Date: The same date as the second simulation report is due.
Assessment: Your paper will be assessed on your ability to clearly communicate your ideas, your ability to make connections between the topics, the thoroughness of your justifications for your positions, and the professional presentation of your report.
Term Value: 17.5%
You may choose how to format your reports, including spacing. If you choose to use single spacing, make sure to have spaces between the paragraphs (i.e. block format). Please do not double space your reports; I am okay with 1.5 spacing. If you want to include exhibits you may do so but please make them figures or tables and include them in your paper, not in an appendix at the end of the report. You do need to properly reference your sources for everything you discuss, including the articles you base your first report on. Please use APA formatting for referencing. For help on APA referencing including, in-text citations, I really like the guide at the following link: https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/research_and_citation/apa_style/apa_style_introduction.html . You may also work with the writing centre.