CASE STUDY: Family Member with Alzheimer’s Disease: Mark and Jacqueline Mark and Jacqueline have been married for 30 years. They have grown children who live in another state. Jacqueline’s mother….
CONCEPTUALIZING AND OPERATIONALIZING VARIABLES
Assignment 2: CONCEPTUALIZING AND OPERATIONALIZING VARIABLES
PURPOSE: The purpose of this exercise is to conceptualize and operationalize variables, and understand how conceptual and operational definitions impact the conclusions drawn about variables.
WRITING REQUIREMENTS: The essay should be 7-9 pages. APA formatting should be used throughout (cover page, running header, major heading, subheadings, in-text citations, and reference list). Any time you paraphrase or directly quote a source, in-text citations should be used. A full APA-formatted reference should be included at the end of the assignment.
The essay should include the following subheadings:
- Conceptualizes race
- Operationalizes race
- Census Bureau changes
- How changes to variables affect conclusions
INSTRUCTIONS: Make sure to follow the directions in order.
- First, provide a definition of the terms: \”conceptual definition\” and \”operational definition\”.
- Next, conceptualize and operationalize the variable \”race.\”
- Read the Census Bureau\’s report on race.
- Answer the following questions after reading the report:
- What changes did the Bureau make to the conceptualization and operationalization of race in the 2010 census?
- Why did the Bureau make these changes?
- Could the difference in operationalization produce different conclusions about race?
- Does the Bureau\’s conceptualization and operationalization of race coincide with yours? If so, how? If not, what is different?