English Composition I
Illustration Essay Final
Revise your 750-1000 word essay about a topic in which you argue for the existence of a particular phenomenon by stating a generalization about the topic. The essay should be written in the style and form described within Unit V. For this assignment, you will edit and revise your Unit V Illustration Essay Draft. This final essay will be your last opportunity to make adjustments to the essay.
Purpose: Throughout Unit V, we discussed the conventions of the illustration essay. The purpose of this assignment is to measure your mastery of the conventions of the illustration essay. For this assignment, you will practice the skill of careful revision and refinement of your work as sometimes re-envisioning your writing can be more difficult than writing the essay the first time. However, to make your writing the best that it can be, you must practice the skills of editing and revision.
Process: For the illustration essay, you will complete the following steps:
- Read through your paper, looking for structural concerns: See Unit IV, Lesson 5, for more details. Be sure that you are satisfied with your paper as a whole before you do any detailed editing.
- Read through your paper looking for grammar and stylistics: See Unit IV, Lesson 5, for more details. You may need to read your essay aloud or have someone else look over the essay to find all of your mistakes and awkward phrasings.
- Submit a Writing Center request using the Writing Center Request Form in the student portal (optional). Have one of CSU’s trained Writing Specialists read through your essay before submission.
Stylistic details: All essays must meet the following requirements:
- 750-1000 words.
- Write in Times New Roman, 12 pt. font.
- Include one-inch margins on all sides.
- Use double spacing (top-to-bottom every page, to include above and below titles and centered words).
- Include an APA title page (for all essays) and reference list that includes all of the sources used in the essay.
- Include page numbers (upper-right corner only).
- Adhere to APA convention and documentation style (See the CSU citation guide for assistance.).
- At least one source is required. All sources used must be cited.