Write a 700 to 1,050 word paper related to trends in the management of courts. Explain how the following issues impact the way courts complete their function: The implementation of….
What was the time period of the Ban Chiang Culture, Thailand ?
Chapter 7 – Southeast Asia
Instructions: All modules are open book assignments. However, you must use your own words to explain what you have learned. There may also be supplemental materials (videos, etc.) that you are asked to view for certain questions. Complete the assignment and submit it no later than the stated due date. Remember to save your module with questions and point values intact, then submit with your name initials on the word doc.
Discussion Questions: Using complete sentences and appropriate grammar / punctuation, answer each essay question with a minimum of 8 to 10 thoughtful and complete sentences.
Remember, write your answers clearly and in an organized fashion. The questions maybe broken up with bullet points, that is to help you identify each portion of the prompt and not miss key points in your answer.
Essay Question 1. (8 points)
· What was the time period of the Ban Chiang Culture, Thailand ?
- Define Neolithic.
- When were the Neolithic ceramics of Ban Chiang discovered?
- Who discovered them and how?
- When was Ban Chian settled and by whom?
- What other types of works besides ceramics were being created by artisans ?
- Give specific examples of works of ceramics as well as other types of works from your textbook.
Essay Question 2. (5 points)
- Define Indianization
- Define Sinification
- What were the effects of “Indianization” and “Sinification”?
on Southeast Asian art?
- Give specific examples of each from your text.
Essay Question 3. (7 points)
- In Vietnam, when did the Dong Son culture begin?
- Where was the first excavation of a Dong Son burial site?
- When did this occur?
- What was the name of the site and where was it located in relation to Hanoi?
- What time of objects did the Dong Son make? Be specific. What mediums did they create most of their work with?
- Give specific examples from your text.
- Describe Co Loa
Essay Question 4 (7 points)
· Look at the image by Sopheap Pich, Cambodia, Buddha 2, 2009
· Where was the artist from?
· Where did he live when his family left Cambodia?
· Where did Sopheap Pich study art?
· In Cambodia, Pich began working with rattan and bamboo,
· why did he use that choice of media?
· Describe in detail using your own observations Buddha 2.
· What was the inspiration for this work?
· How was blood referenced in this work?
· Why was blood referenced in this work?
Essay Question 5 (8 points)
- Describe Angkor Wat, where is it located?
- Who built it?
- What was the symbolism related to the cosmos?
- How was that symbolism shown in Angkor Wat?
- Who worked on this structure? How many workmen were there?
- How long did this take to build? What is the size of Angkor Wat?
- Who were allowed to climb to the top level and proceed to enter the temple?
- Who was the devotional image that was placed inside the temple?
Module 2 – Chapter 8
– please note chapter 8 requires you to view a documentary allow time to see the entire film.
The link is under modules as well as posted here under Chapter 8.
Essay Question 6 ( 25 points)
This will require you to view the documentary entitled
Ai Weiwei Never Sorry 2012 – the link is also available under your module. You must view the entire documentary (it is very interesting) to write your assignment.
Answer each question in essay style. Be sure to use organized and complete sentences.
- The film shows us several of Ai Wei Wei’s art projects. What is the content of his work? What is the context of his work? What do you think he is challenging in his country, China?
- We have viewed in class different reasons artist make art, what do you think the reason Ai Wei Wei makes art. What is his purpose or intent?
- What was the significant event that happened in China’s Tiananmen Square that is referred to in the film?
- When did that happen? What took place?
- What work/installation/project/performance did you find the most meaningful to you?
- Why? Describe the work and explain what your response was to it.
- What did the artist do that created that response?
- Do you think his intent for the viewer was a success?
- What part does technology play in Ai Weiwei’s work?
- What or how does he use technology? Do you think his work would be as successful without the use of that technology?
- In your chapter, find an example of at least two works from the past that relate to the work Ai Wei Wei created.
- Explain how you think his work relates to the art of the past of China.
Essay Question 7 ( 10 points)
For this module, you created an image of a Terra Cotta Warrior/Animal. You viewed the National Geographic documentary on the subject. Now, answer these questions.
- Who were the images of?
- What was the reason these images were built?
- Who requested (demanded) that they be built?
- What purpose did the figures serve?
- How many of these images were made?
- Would this have been an easy place to work? Why or why not?
- What was the process (details) in how these were constructed?
- What were the figures created with? (materials/medium)?
- Is the appearance of these figures the same as when they were buried?
- What is different or similar?
- What was problematic in creating and having them completed in one piece?
- Were all the images made in a mold?
- Were all the images identical? How is that proven?