SSW 408 Community and Organizational Theory
SSW 408 Community and Organizational Theory
Responses should be typed using 1.5 spacing, size 12 font, and font choice of either Times Roman, Calibri, or Arial.
Please number your pages and questions. APA style should be used for any references. Please clearly communicate your
ideas using the correct spelling, grammar and sentence structure.
(1) Submit on or by October 11th 11:59PM: Your submission will receive full consideration with no penalty.
(2) Submit after October 11th 11:59PM: Your submission will be considered with [-1] late submission penalty per day.
Please keep in mind that this is an individual test, not a team project. Please report any unfair requests to share your
answers. Cite any information that you use from other sources in a transparent and professional manner.
Part I. Multiple Choice Questions (3 points each)
1. Which one of the following is not true about theory?
a. Theory is a general statement about the real world from a value position.
b. b. Theories are falsifiable.
c. Theories guide practice.
d. Theories can evolve.
e. Theories are a subset of hypotheses.
2. Theories are built by _______ and ________ reasoning?
a. Solid and Sound
b. Rational and Irrational
c. Deductive and Inductive
d. Hypothetical and Observational
3. The difference between theory, model and perspective is:
Theory: A general statement about the real world whose essential truth can be supported by evidence obtained through
the scientific method (e.g., systems, psychodynamic, social learning).
Model: A blueprint for action (e.g., problem solving, task centered)
Perspective: A way of perceiving of the world flows from a value position. The perspective will influence choice of
theory and model (e.g., strengths, feminist)
4. The theory of _______ and _______ represents one of the earliest thoughts that separated the characteristics of
community and society.
What are the key terms that would fit in this sentence?
a. Gemeinschaft and Gesellschaft
b. Need and asset
c. Order and conflict
d. Haves and have-notsashlei martinez
5. There are many definitions of community, as early as the 1950’s, one scholar identified over ______ discrete
definitions of community in use within the social science literature (Hillery, 1955). No matter what definition is
selected, concepts such as space, people, interaction and shared identity are repeated over and over again (Netting et al.
6. Which of the following is not of the major social functions of communities according to Roland Warren (1978)
(Netting et al. (2012), p.133: 136)?
a. Production, distribution and consumption
c. Social Control
d. Social cohesion
e. Mutual Support
7. From your reading, Urban Enclaves: Identity and Place in America, enclaves are (a) special relationship between
a distinctive group of people and place and (b) some characteristics of a subculture that are maintained by a high rate of
interaction within the group.
8. Based upon your answer to #7, which of the two following are best viewed as not composing an enclave?
a. The Gypsies in Los Angeles
b. Gay nightclubs and bars in the Castro district in San Francisco
c. Chinatown in New York
d. “Yuppies” in Chicago
e. The Homeless in Austin, Texas
9. The term identities refer to people’s definitions of their (_____) selves and tends to be linked to roles and
10. “There appears to be instances in which “outsiders” attempt to more or less equate people with a single master
status, for example to whites, blacks may be only blacks- it does not matter whether they are fat or thin, smart or not” ,
excerpt from your reading. Was this stated this way or not?
Part II- Short answer questions – (4pts each) Please answer the questions in 1-3 sentences. Be concise.
11. Salient identity refers to the role that brings the individual most “self- relevancy”. True or False, explain your
12. Explain the difference between enclave, ghetto and slum.
13. Please list and describe the Warren’s 5 functionalities of community (abbreviated chart form is acceptable)
14. Based on the Galston article, Does the Internet Strengthen Community?- answer the question and provide a brief
explanation of your answer.
15. From “ The Cost of Racial and Class Exclusion in the Inner City”, what does hyperghettoization mean?
Part III. Longer Answer Questions (25 points each)
Using the Canyon City vignette [attached], answer the following questions.
Choose one of the community theories/perspectives below and explain how the theory/perspective helps you analyze the
situation of this community. What are the strengths and weaknesses of using this theory/perspective to understand the
community? (400-500 words, the word limit does not include references)
Choices: Systems theory; Human and population ecology theory (The Chicago School); Human behavior theories;
Theories about power, politics and change; Strengths, empowerment, or resiliency perspective
Note: Feel free to choose a specific theory under each overarching framework above. For example, you can choose
“Conflict theory” under “Theories about power, politics, and change” to answer this question.
Explaining the 5 Faces of Oppression
Choose any marginalized community of your choice using the 5 faces of oppression describe each form and provide and
example of each form within your community of choice. (400-500 words)
For Part II and III your answers will be evaluated according to the following rubric:
Your argument is compelling and carefully supported using evidence and relevant information 25
Your argument integrates concepts from the assigned readings and/or in-class discussion in a
The paper is written in clear language and followed the required format both in terms of the
content and references